17 Sep Recipe Redux: Still delicious, now more nutritious: One Pot Wonder Lasagna
Lasagna is an all-in-one entrée to love for sure, except for the assortment of pots and pans some recipes require to assemble it. Brown the meat. Cook the noodles. Make the sauce. Grate the cheese. Not to mention all the fat and calories in ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese…Geez!
This month’s Recipe Redux takes traditional lasagna to the chopping block, simplifying supper and minimizing mess by making the whole dish in one pot. That’s right, One Pot Wonder Lasagna!
Whole grain lasagna noodles and loads of Italian tomatoes in addition to the sweet and spicy sausage and red pepper flakes makes for a hearty as well as healthy, satisfying combination that cooks itself on the stove. Perfect!
Just in time for cooler temperatures and comfort food cravings comes this month’s Recipe Redux: One Pot Wonder Lasagna. Sit back and relax knowing something wonderful is simmering on the stove soon to be served for supper!
Healthy highlights of this month’s Recipe Redux:One Pot Wonder Lasagna include:
- Olive oil- a healthy dietary fat that when used in moderation may lower total cholesterol and benefit insulin levels and blood sugar control.
- Garlic- has been shown to improve circulation, reduce blood pressure and reduce cholesterol levels.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes- aid in digestion and contain capsaicin which improves circulation.
- Tomatoes- are rich in antioxidants, dietary fiber and vitamins. Eating tomatoes has been shown to reduce the risk of some kinds of cancer and aid in weight loss.
- Whole Grain Lasagna Noodles- Regular consumption of whole grain foods can lower cholesterol levels in your body and may reduce the chances of getting certain types of cancer.
One Pot Wonder Lasagna has less than 200 calories a serving compared to
Popular brand meat and cheese prepared lasagna has 275 calories per serving.
Recipe and food photography by Sydne George.
Recipe Redux: One Pot Wonder Lasagna
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
16-ounce package Italian sausage
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 26-ounce containers Pomi Italian chopped tomatoes (Albertsons)
6 ounces (from a 12-ounce package) Healthy Harvest 100% Whole Grain Lasagna Noodles, broken in half
¼ cup cream
¼ cup chicken stock
¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
Fresh basil leaves, minced, for garnish
Heat a medium Dutch oven or other heavy pot with a lid over medium high heat. Add olive oil and heat until hot. Add garlic and sauté until softened. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally until browned. Add tomatoes on top of sausage. Top with lasagna noodles. Pour cream and stock over noodles and sprinkle cheese over the top. Cover with lid and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Serve hot scooping from bottom of pot to reach sausage. Garnish with fresh basil leaves. Enjoy!
Sydne George is a food journalist specializing in recipe development, food writing and food photography. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org . Sydne’s recipes from “Recipe Redux: Still Delicious, Now More Nutritious” are archived at https://sydnegeorge.com/blog/.