20 Mar Recipe Redux: Still Delicious, Now More Nutritious: Crispy Baked Chicken
Still Delicious, Now More Nutritious
Crispy Baked Chicken
Crunchy golden outsides coupled with moist juicy insides make crispy chicken drumsticks a classic favorite comfort food on many people’s lists. If you’re hankering for a fried chicken fix, but hoping for a healthy alternative, adding a few secret ingredients to the breading will boost benefits to your body.
While most standard recipes call for dredging the drumsticks in white flour, making a mix of whole grains, bran flakes, flaxseed, wheat germ and cayenne will fortify the coating with added vitamins and minerals.
Drizzling the drumsticks with olive oil and baking them in the oven eliminates the need for deep-frying, saving on saturated fat and making them even better for you.
This month’s Recipe Redux: Still delicious, now more nutritious, Crispy Baked Chicken, all of the goodness, none of the guilt, with just over 300 calories a serving and a host of healthy highlights.
Healthy highlights of this month’s Recipe Redux: Crispy Baked Chickens include:
- Bran flakes- a good source of dietary fiber and chock-full of vitamins and minerals including Vitamin A, D, B6, B12, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, iron and manganese.
- Flaxseed- rich in fiber and heart-healthy omega 3 fats, flaxseed may help fight heart disease, stroke, diabetes and breast cancer.
- Wheat germ- a good source of fiber, zinc, folic acid and iron.
- Cayenne- contains capsaicin which halts inflammation, may ease congestion and can lower cholesterol.
- Olive oil- a healthy dietary fat that when used in moderation may lower total cholesterol and benefit insulin levels and blood sugar control.
Recipe and food photography by Sydne George.
Recipe Redux: Crispy Baked Chicken
12 chicken drumsticks
2 cups lowfat buttermilk
1 cup 9-grain breadmix (organic foods aisle)
1 cup bran flakes
¼ cup milled flaxseed
1/8 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
¼ cup olive oil
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Arrange chicken drumsticks in a large rectangular glass baking dish.
Pour buttermilk over chicken in baking dish.
Combine bread mix, bran flakes, flaxseed, wheat germ, cayenne and salt in large sealable plastic bag.
Remove drumsticks from buttermilk two or three at a time and place them in bag of breading.
Seal bag and shake to coat drumsticks.
Repeat to coat all drumsticks with breading.
Brush 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish with olive oil to cover bottom and sides of pan.
Arrange breaded drumsticks in pan, alternating orientation to fit drumsticks in pan.
Drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil over breaded drumsticks.
Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
Sydne George is a food journalist specializing in recipe development, food writing and food photography. Email her at email@example.com. Sydne’s “Recipe Redux: Still Delicious, Now More Nutritious” recipes are archived at http://sydnegeorge.com/blog/