23 Sep Recipe Redux: Garden Fresh Chef’s Salad
A Chef’s Salad is a particularly healthy choice, especially when it’s made with fresh leafy greens and vegetables and lightly tossed with a super simple oil and vinegar dressing. Skip the cheese and croutons and instead make some crispy shallots to top your masterpiece.
Downplay the portion size of smoked turkey and egg, and instead showcase a variety of garden fresh vegetables, skimming fat and calories from the traditional Chef’s Salad recipe.
Serve up a super simple salad pleasing to your eye and your palate this month. Still delicious and now more nutritious is this month’s Recipe Redux: Garden Fresh Chef’s Salad. Enjoy!
Healthy highlights of this month’s Recipe Redux: Garden Fresh Chef’s Salad include:
- Lean smoked turkey- low in fat and calories, a healthy source of protein.
- Olive oil- a source of monounsaturated fats that can help to lower bad cholesterol in your body.
- Carrots- eating carrots can help improve your vision, lower your risk of breast, lung and colon cancer, help prevent heart disease and lower cholesterol in your body.
- Cucumber- rich in potassium, healthy antioxidants and vitamin K which has been shown to promote bone mass.
- Radishes- low in calories and rich in vitamins, eating radishes can help prevent some forms of cancer in your body.
- Eggs are a good source of high quality protein. Incorporating eggs into a healthy diet can prevent certain cancers as well as reduce the risk of macular degeneration.
- Butter lettuce is rich in vitamins and minerals and provide myriad health benefits including delivering vitamin A to your body improving eye and skin health.
Recipe and food photography by Sydne George.
Recipe Redux: Garden Fresh Chef’s Salad
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. olive oil
½ tsp. honey
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. shallots, thinly sliced
Dash Kosher salt
2 cups butter lettuce leaves
1 hard boiled egg, thinly sliced
2 radishes, thinly sliced
1 small cucumber, peeled and shaved with vegetable peeler
1 medium carrot, peeled and shaved with vegetable peeler
¼ pound smoked turkey, sliced into thin strips
Dash cayenne pepper
Make the dressing:
Whisk together red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp. olive oil and honey in medium mixing bowl until thoroughly combined.
Make crispy shallots:
Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in medium sauté over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add shallots and cook until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with Kosher salt.
Tear butter lettuce leaves into bite sized pieces. Toss with dressing. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Divide among two salad plates.
Arrange egg, radishes, cucumber, carrot and turkey atop dressed lettuce leaves.
Sprinkle sparingly with cayenne (if desired).
Top with crispy shallots.
Sydne George is a food journalist specializing in recipe development, food writing and food photography. She can be reached at email@example.com . Sydne’s recipes from “Recipe Redux: Still Delicious, Now More Nutritious” are archived at sydnegeorge.com